Teachers at Maple Leaf Academy are certified, qualified and experienced ESL teachers.
We are pleased that you are interested in Maple Leaf Academy. To come to CANADA as an International Student, you need to know the following information. Please read each enclosed page carefully. For more information, please go to:
Maple Leaf Academy features the following international English programs:
• ESL (English as a Second Language)
• ESL Academic (IELTS preparation)
• Business ESL
Our ESL programs are aimed at students over the age of eighteen (18) who have graduated from High School.
Students under the age of 18 must provide letters from themselves and their parents detailing why they would like to study at the Academy.
Maple Leaf Academy offers:
• Intensive instruction in ESL training with low student/teacher ratio
• Maximum of 16 students per class
• Subjects cover listening/speaking, reading, writing/grammar, pronunciation, and Canadian Living
• Three semesters in a year, each semester lasting four months
• Full-time programs are held 5 days a week, Monday through Friday, 25 hours a week, excluding Canadian and Civic holidays for a total of 400 hours
• Part-time programs are held 4 evenings a week, Monday through Thursday, 10 hours a week, excluding Canadian and Civic holidays for a total of 160 hours
• Students are accepted in a program up to two weeks after the semester start date. Students will not be accepted after the two week grace period
• Students enrolling in our ESL Academic program must qualify by passing a MLA placement test. MLA accepts students at the level equivalent to the Canadian Language Benchmarks 1 to 7
Please provide the following to Maple Leaf Academy:
- Completed Application Form
- Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Proof of education (e.g., High School Diploma)
- Proof of health care coverage
* For a student under the age of 18: both parents and the student are required to write a letter explaining why Maple Leaf Academy is their school of choice.
* Please ensure that all above information is complete and correct. Any missing information will result in a delay in the processing of your application.
Application form: Please fill in and send to us
|Canadian Citizen/Immigrants||Private/International Students|
Full Time Tuition Fee: $2,912.00
Part Time Tuition Fee: $1,165.00
Full Time Tuition Fee: $4,200.00
Part Time Tuition Fee: $1,768.00
Payment can be made by certified cheque or money order payable to Maple Leaf Academy at:
#200, 731-6th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0T9
Please contact the High Commission, Embassy or Consulate in your country for the current immigration regulations. If the country where you reside does not have a Canadian Consulate, write to the one nearest to you or contact our school for more information. All international ESL students who wish to study for a period longer than six months require a Study Permit.
To apply for a Study Permit, a person must get an “Official Letter of Acceptance” from the school. An “Official Letter of Acceptance” is issued after all Fees have been paid for the length of the time registered.
Medical Coverge and Health Care
Each student must show proof of medical insurance and liability coverage before being admitted to Maple Leaf Academy.
Non-Canadian students, who intend to stay in Alberta for 12 consecutive months or more, will be permitted to apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance coverage. When applying, you must submit a copy of your Study Permit with your application form. If you will be in Alberta for less than 12 consecutive months, you are not eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance program, and you are required to find alternate medical insurance and liability coverage.
Please also see Withdrawal and Refund policy
- Upon receipt and evaluation of the above requirements, MLA will notify the student regarding acceptance.
- Once accepted, the student will receive a Provisional Letter of Acceptance, and an invoice requesting payment of fees. Payments must be payable to MAPLE LEAF ACADEMY by certified cheque, bank draft, or wire transfer in Canadian funds. All service charges are the responsibility of the student.
- Upon receipt of the fees (registration and tuition), the student will receive two OFFICIAL LETTERS OF ACCEPTANCE and an OFFICIAL RECEIPT. One official letter should be presented to the Canadian Consulate in your country, so that a permit may be issued. The other is for the student's personal records. The student should carry a copy of the Official Letter of Acceptance when travelling. A copy of the Official Letter of Acceptance should also be left with the student's parents or guardian in the home country.
Maple Leaf Academy offers a homestay program for International Students who wish to experience Canadian family living. This is a great learning experience to enhance and learn Canadian Culture. For further information or assistance, please contact Maple Leaf Academy.
Registration Fee (non refundable) $100.00 CAD
*Monthly HOMESTAY fee (room & board) $600.00 - $1,200.00 CAD
- Monthly fee is determined by living arrangement and meal arrangement.
- First and last month payments are due on the first day of homestay.
- Change of Accommodation requires 30 days notice.
- Includes three (3) meals on weekdays & two (2) meals on weekends.
Please see Homestay Application Form
Withdrawals and Refund
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
All withdrawal requests must be made in writing and signed by the applicant. They must be addressed to:
Maple Leaf Academy
#200, 731 6th Ave S.W.
Calgary, T2P 0T9
The Official Withdrawal Date will be the date the Letter of Withdrawal is received by Maple Leaf Academy.
Withdrawal Procedure when a Visitor or Study Permit is denied:
- All fees, except the Registration Fee, will be refunded.
- The student must return:
- THE ORIGINAL LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE
- THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT
- A COPY OF THE LETTER OF THE IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT stating that the Study Permit was denied.
Withdrawal procedure when a Visitor or Study Permit is received:
- If a student withdraws from a program more than 30 days before the semester start date, all fees, except the Registration Fee, will be refunded.
- If a student withdraws more than one week but less than 30 days before the semester start date, 50% of the tuition will be refunded.
- If a student withdraws less than one week before the semester start date, or any time thereafter, no refund will be given.
*** The Registration Fee is non-refundable ***
Please see Withdrawal and Refund policy